Get paid To Promote at any Location

Monday, December 13, 2010

The Road to Redemption

Marcus Kuhn
The Road to Redemption
By Eric Michalovic

I first met Marcus Kuhn back in 2002 in Portland, Maine. He had recently returned to the small coastal town after a long “walk-about” spanning nearly a decade and the entire globe, to open “Just Good Tattoos”.

Marcus Kuhn

I was beginning my journey in tattooing when, by chance I first encountered Marcus. I found myself in possession of some machines I believed to be stolen, after a little investigation I discovered the machines belonged to him. While he was in the process of opening his shop, some dirt-bag had stolen a case containing approximately 30 valuable and highly sentimental, personalized tattoo machines.


Marcus Kuhn

I had butchered a tattoo on the scum-bag who had stolen these machines in trade for a shader. The machine, I found out later was a bull-dog from Sailor Jerry’s original castings which had passed through Adam to Seth and was built up personally for Marcus. When I held this machine I could feel its importance, even in my juvenile stage of tattooing I knew it meant something to someone, and I had to get it back to the rightful owner. I didn’t want to enter tattooing with a mark on my karma. I immediately found out who it belonged to through an acquaintance who was working in another tattoo shop. I phoned Marcus and that afternoon was standing in his shop with the machine. This move opened a dialogue between us that has been very important to my growth as a tattooer, an artist and as a man.

Marcus is a real straight shooter, stern and serious, no bullshit. He’s not the guy to go to if you want a pat on the back or are looking for compliments, but if you’re willing to leave your feelings at the door and are truly ready to hear what you need to hear, then he’s your man! He’s one of the most disciplined hardworking people in tattooing today, he’s a gift to this world. It’s a great honor to have the opportunity to help share his influence and inspiration with the rest of tattooing.

Marcus Kuhn I have gained a great deal over the years from our interactions. I find myself thinking over things he’s said to me for months or even years at a time. I think you will have the same experience when done reading this interview. Enjoy.

 Marcus Kuhn

For the complete Marcus Kuhn article from Issue #22,

No comments:

Post a Comment